Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Penn trip continued

So I know its been a while since I posted last but I have been very busy with school and work. The rest of my trip to Harrisburg went very smoothly and I had a blast. I love my brother in law and sister very much and I was sad that my trip was coming to an end. But I was very excited to go to Gettysburg and the plan was then to continue on to Baltimore and Cockysville.

When we went to Gettysburg we were expecting to take a look at the museum and then continue south into Maryland but that didn't go as planned. We ended up spending around 5 hours in the very historic town and seeing the battle fields. It was beyond interesting visiting the site where Lincoln gave the address and the national cemetery. Followed by a auto tour of the battlefield.

The museum recently got a face lift in 2008 I believe including a large museum and a cyclrama. The painting of the battlefield painting was done a few years after the battle and it is 377ft long by 40ft tall. It was restored and it was amazing. There was a narration which included lights going off behind the painting made it look like there were explosions and it was incredible.

After spending an hour or so in the museum we decided to head out and look at the battlefield. I took pictures but unfortunately my computer isn't letting me throw them up at this time. Lynds was insistent on taking goofy pictures which she was able to get me and mike to do a few along with a observation post that tested my fear of heights. It was was a gorgeous day with the sun peaking in and out between the clouds as we continued around the sites. It was breathtaking how many monuments there were for both the north and the south. I snapped pictures on both my camera which by this point was low on batteries so I took over as cameraman with the nice camera my lovely sister owns. We found some great shots along with a "No relic hunting signs" which kinda shot down my dads hopes when he would make it back out there.

We took the full auto tour minus a few spots north of time. It was around 4 oclock and we had to get back to let the fur kids out and find something delish for supper.

Upon arriving back in Harrisburg a quick nap was in store before heading out the ABC brew pub where I had an amazing burger and tried their beer sampler. It was also my maiden voyage in the Black Pear. It was a great time but unfortunately my trip was coming to an end the next day and we called it a night.


Overall it was a great trip and I was very sad to see it come to an end. But i am very very Thankful for my lovely sister who funded my trip out there. Lyndsey and Mike were amazing hosts and I can't wait to head back out there for a month or more so I can get a true feeling of living out east and seeing some more amazing sites and spend more time with my family. Thanks again Lyndsey and Kelsey for a great trip and I love you both.


Also super excited for this weekend I'm heading out to Moorhead to see my Bestie Rachel and spend some time away from the B-town. Plus in two weeks I am going home to see the fam for Easter.

In the words of Billy Joel I'd rather laugh with the Sinners then cry with the Saints the Sinners are much more fun. :)


1 comment:

  1. Love it AJ!! I'm glad you had such a fun time...we were beyond glad to have you out! Props to Mom, dad, and Kels for splitting the tix, we just chipped in a little!! it was all their idea, too!!

    ReplyDelete